Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Restaurant #11-Kell's Irish Restaurant and Pub

Around eleven o'clock on our third and last night in Seattle I realized that I had not yet been to the one other place that I'd been dying to go to in Seattle: Kell's Irish Restaurant and Pub. Having been to Ireland and loved it I'm a sucker for Irish pubs and this one in particular had received high marks from all of the guidebooks I read. I was promised authentic Irish pub food, a delightful atmosphere and live music every night. How could I resist?

Ty had a full day of driving ahead of him since we were going all the way back to Great Falls in one day. He was really tired so Matt and I let him sleep, hailed a cab, and headed off to Post Alley to check out Kell's.

There are two sides to Kell's, a bar side and a restaurant side. We unknowingly walked into the restaurant side and were the only ones there. Music coming from an adjacent room clued us in to that being the place to be.

We were seated by a lovely barmaid who, when we asked if they were still serving food at all, said, "No, we've only got..." and then rattled off four different types of stew. Stew sounded perfect so Matt and I each ordered a bowl of the Beef and Barley. The stew was amazing, served in a good-sized bowl, and accompanied by slices of Irish brown bread and butter. Tasty! I really can't say enough good things about it. As it was only $4.50 a bowl it was probably the best and least expensive food I had during the entire trip.

Matt and I both started off with coffee with Baileys followed by two gigantic bottles of hard cider whose name I can't recall, but it was good enough that I'm willing to hunt to the ends of the earth to try it.

The atmosphere at Kell's was awesome. Lit by candlelight and with a lived-in, but classy feel it was easy to feel at home right away. The live music that night was by a Kell's regular Liam Gallagher who sang a blend of delightful classic Irish folk songs and equally delightful ones that he had penned himself. He had two CDs available and I purchased and am enjoying both.

Matt and I had a great time and felt extra cool after our little adventure. Great Falls doesn't have much to offer in the way of awesome bars so we spent a lot of the ride home wishing there was a Kell's we could go to regularly.

No comments: