Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Experience Music Project

The Frank O. Gehry-designed Experience Music Project museum is the first thing we saw when we approached the Seattle Center. I don't know quite how to describe the building as it looks ridiculous/amazing. Regardless it was definitely worth seeing.

We got into the museum and picked up our Seattle City Passes from the ticket counter there. The EMP is cool with lots of music trivia and memorabilia on a wide range of recording artists. As the museum began with founder Paul Allen's personal collection of Jimi Hendrix memorabilia there is a lot of space dedicated to him and his music. I had very little knowledge of Hendrix previously and was able to learn a lot.

In the lobby between the Experience Music Project and the adjoining Sci-Fi Museum and Hall of Fame there is an awesome sculpture built out of different working instruments. Watching the sculpture play itself was the highlight of the EMP for me.

Upstairs at EMP are a group of recording booths where you can sign up to lay your own tracks. It was very cool, but the wait was horrendous so we didn't stay to try it out for ourselves.

The EMP was very hip, and I enjoyed myself, but I have the feeling that if I would have been a Hendrix fan I would have been in pure heaven!

No comments: